Thursday, May 16, 2013

I Am A Mutant, And My Name Is Nospremo!

  Well it looks like I spoke too soon regarding genetic testing. All day today I have been playing phone tag with the nurses at Newton Wellesley because my results came back for my genetic tests. Normally all these results can be seen through a patient portal online, but for this one the results weren't shown.
   About 3 hours ago I finally got through to the nurse, and as she started to speak I already knew it was bad news:
   I'm a bit out of my element here, and I would prefer the doctor tell you, but the results did come back and they found a Y Gene Deletion
   It is really odd but I didn't get that upset at this news. It could be that I somehow knew this was the case deep in my double helix. I was even able to finish a few things at work before feeling the water works about to start and running out to the parking lot. This afternoon there was only a sprinkle.
  So what does Y Gene Micro-Deletion (YSM) mean? Well it means that I am a mutant. At conception, as the Y chromosome of my dad was copied over, parts of it were left out. This mutation has led to some of the instructions for producing swimmers to be left out. This is a very odd super power to have, the ability to not impregnate naturally. It would have been a great power to know about at another time in life I suppose. I have always wanted to be a mutant, and now I finally am. My X-Men name is Nospermo.
  There is good news though. My FSH and testosterone levels being normal means that I still most likely have swimmers around. The issue at hand now is how severe is my YSM, as the most severe kinds could mean I would pass on this problem to any sons I have. I don't think Nospermo needs a young sidekick with the same powers. We will have to cross that bridge when we get there.
  We are going to run with endurance the rest of the race. This is just another mental wall to blast through. We have our urologist appointment on Monday, we now know what we are fighting, and are going to enjoy the weekend.
   Beware infertility, Nospermo is out there, ready to defeat you.
 

No comments: